Over the weekend, we had a pretty scary thing happen in our home. I wasn’t planning on sharing it, but when we told our friends, families and neighbors, a few of them encouraged me to share it with all of you to raise awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO).
Sunday morning, our carbon monoxide alarm started sounding near our furnace room. We had never heard it before, so Chris ran downstairs to check what it was. When he realized it was the CO detector, he yelled for everyone to get out of the house “right now!” I had just put Faye down for a nap 15 minutes prior, but I ran into her room and wrapped her up in my arms and got Charly on her leash, too. Greta was already outside crying, worried about her toy puppy on her bed. We ran straight for my parents’ home next door while Chris stayed in the driveway and called 911. I tried to explain to Greta that “her stuffy” will be just fine and we’ll see him again in a little bit. I think she was thinking our house was on fire, but I tried to explain the details of what was happening without scaring her too much: There’s poisonous gas in our house that can make us really, really sick. We need to get fresh air and the fire department is going to make sure our house is safe with no more poison before we go back in.
An ambulance and fire department arrived in a matter of minutes and when they arrived, sure enough there was deadly levels of gas coming from our utility room that had already seeped into the rest of our house. They told Chris and I that if we didn’t have a CO detector in the house, our whole family would have been dead by evening.
Fortunately, we’re fine. I had a bad headache yesterday that suddenly made a lot of sense and Faye has suffered from flu-like symptoms (a common side effect of CO poisoning) but she is going to be okay. They also did a thorough check on Chris since he went right into it and we are all checked out. However, it shook me up all day. We are 100% certain, that detector saved us all.
So where did the gas come from? The fire department turned off both our furnace and water heater–both operated by gas–to be sure. But you can also be exposed to Carbon Monoxide by:
• Furnaces or boilers
• Gas stoves and ovens
• Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning
• Water heaters
• Clothes dryers
• Wood stoves
• Power generators
• Motor vehicles
• Power tools and lawn equipment
• Tobacco smoke
The scariest part is CO has no odor, color or taste so it can’t be detected by our senses. If that alarm didn’t go off, or if we didn’t have an alarm, it would have killed us. I don’t say that for attention or sympathy or a pat on the back because we did have a detector. I share this because we’re a really normal family living in a suburb in Idaho and we woke up on Sunday morning and did normal things like eat breakfast and play with PlayDoh and we had zero idea that our lives were at such risk.
I also share this because if you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, get one today. Please! They aren’t expensive; we have this $19 one (upstairs and downstairs). They are easy to install (a lot of them can just sit in a room or you can easily mount it to the wall) and they are life saving. Lives saving.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home