I got so many encouraging emails and messages from you over the weekend about my inquiry of sharing mood boards occasionally for other people’s spaces–including some of yours! I get so many requests for online consultations and while that unfortunately doesn’t fit into my day right now, hopefully as we select a few to share here every once in a while, everyone will be able to benefit, or be inspired or pluck something from the ideas.
While they will mostly be digital projects, the one that we’re sharing today is actually a bedroom Chris and I will be doing in a day on Instagram Stories in just a couple weeks as part of an upcoming project! Here’s how the master bedroom looks today:
I think it’s a very relatable before photo for a lot of people, perhaps especially in their mid to late 20’s. I love that there is effort made here–the mismatched nightstands are painted the same color, the printed off artwork was a a good effort in making this space something more. But what this couple expressed to us that they really wanted was to move pass the post-dorm style and transform this space into something that felt polished, bright, soothing and like a retreat.
First, we gathered some inspiration photos that had elements that they loved or a general vibe they connected to:
I noticed immediately they all had a light, bright neutral palette and soft, tall, cushy headboards. While there bedroom will still have carpet and lower ceilings, unlike the inspiration photos–I knew we could inject a lot of the same luxe tone on tone vibes for a lot less than the inspiration photos.
Here’s what I came up with:
1. A tall, wingback headboard like this will not only add height to the room, but it will completely change the way they relax. Just going for a headboard, instead of a full bed is a great way to save some money, too!
2. An 8×10 Peachy-blue traditional rug. You can spend a fortune on a Persian or Oriental rug, but this one is actually mass-produced and very affordable! An 8×10 will take up a good portion of the existing carpet and really disguise it.
3. Stacked frames above a nightstand is another great trick to bring the eye up and make the room look taller, especially if there is a lot of white space. These budget-friendly frames have large white mats and we’re gonna pop in photos of the couple.
4. The window is actually pretty wide in here, but we’re going to use this pewter rod, hung high and along the majority of the window wall (it goes to 120″ wide!) to make the window look even larger.
5. We purchased 4 panels of these budget-friendly striped curtains so we can hang them high and wide and fill up that wall with a lot of soft layers.
6. These nightstands are sturdy, with clean lines and most importantly, have storage! It’s easy to fall for a nightstand that looks good, but if you’re the kind of person that stores a lot of things bedside–it’s always a good idea to look for something with concealed storage and looks good so you’re not constantly fighting clutter. These fit the bill.
7. The warm, aged brass of this semi-flushmount fixture repeats in the dresser and bedside lamps. I love a good flush mount!
8. Opposite the bed, there’s currently a giant, crumbling armoire that was at the top of the list of what had to go (we’ll be sure to give you the full visual when we tackle this room in person). This dresser adds some contrast to all the lightness without being overwhelmingly dark. I really love the drawer handles–and the price!
9. Almost every inspiration had a modern element (something I whole-heartedly love injecting into our own spaces, too!), and these lamps are the perfect modern touch.
10. Layered, tonal, cushy bedding like this will absolutely transform the feel of their whole room.
We’re so excited to see this room transform and to bring all of you along for the ride. We haven’t nailed down a paint color just yet (waiting to do that in person), but I’m leaning toward a warm white like Sherwin Williams Alabaster or Benjamin Moore’s White Dove. Anyone else have a room like the before photo? Hope this gives you some ideas!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home