I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts last week (Reply All) and they were talking about the seemingly small things in life they were going to start doing to increase their happiness. One of the hosts mentioned a warm bath, the other said lighting a candle (I can relate!) and I started thinking about what my slow and seemingly normal thing is that brings me joy. One is absolutely sitting down and flipping through a coffee table book. Not only does it relax me, but it allows me to unplug while still helping me feel inspired! And once I pinpointed that, I remembered that growing up, my parents had a lot of art coffee table books and I swear I had every page memorized, but I still flip through them when I go visit. It’s always been a comforting act for me.
Now, at my own home, we have a plethora of coffee table books, mostly of inspiring interiors. And you know what love just as much as sitting down with the girls and looking at them? When our guests sit down and start flipping through the pages! I don’t know anyone (myself included) that wouldn’t LOVE a coffee table book as a gift this holiday season. They are inspiring, beautiful, double-duty as decor and is something you might not want to buy for yourself.
I’ve listed 14 of my current favorites below (with a home focus)! Let’s call it the 2020 gift guide kick-off!
Also, please feel free to find your local Independent book store here and see if they carry these titles! Now more than ever, when you shop at small businesses, you help your community and local economy!
1. Down to Earth: Laid-back Interiors for Modern Living by Lauren Liess: $27 Lauren’s second book is just as good as her first, Habitat, imo. I love her laid back living spaces and I have been so inspired by the warmth and organic elements she mixes in every time!
2. A Tale of Interiors by Louisa Pierce: $47 If you flip through even 10 pages of this book, you’ll see that I’ve been devouring this style! It’s pattern play and cottage core and traditional interiors in the freshest way all rolled into one.
3. Live Beautiful by Athena Calderone: $34 If you follow @eyeswoon on Instagram, then you know Athena is completely captivating, but what’s even better about her beautiful spaces she creates is the purpose behind each one. This book is about how beautiful design IMPROVES the quality of life. It’s so good.
4. The Nature of Home by Jeffrey Dungan: $57 Jeffrey is an incredible architectural designer. His exteriors are unmatched and his design is incredible timeless. I fall deep into this book happily over and over again.
5. Still: The Slow Home by Natalie Walton: $24 STILL is largely about the slow movement. Not just the physical structures we choose to live in, but also the surrounding environment, and what effect that can have on general happiness and wellbeing. I love the pared down interiors and I’m constantly inspired by how beautiful an empty corner can look.
6. Hide and Seek: The Architecture of Cabins and Hideouts by Sofia Borges: $45 A beautiful visual of the most amazing cabins and nature retreats are built to compliment their surroundings and provide a real retreat. Each page is an absolute escape.
7. Vintage Remix: The Interiors of Kishani Perera by Kishani Perera: $38 The images in this book will stay with you! And the best part is, it feels incredibly approachable. You’ll want to replicate the way Kishani layers her interiors and mixes and matches. It’s comforting and beautiful.
8. Architectural Digest at 100: A Century of Style: $95 Truly just a beautiful book to look at, open or closed.
9. Golden Light: The Interior Design of Nickey Kehoe: $49 I really wanted to live in these spaces. They all feel unfussy, but interesting, Beautiful but with a big story to tell. Nickey and Kehoe are masters of curation!
10. The Beauty of Home: Redefining Traditional Interiors by Marie Flanigan: $40 Traditional interiors are definitely coming back in a fresh way and I found myself drooling through this entire Modern Traditional book (the style I most relate to). The color and wood work. The closet on 127–you’ll die.
11. John Derian Picture Book by John Derian: $72 This is purely pictures, but they are so thought-provoking and enjoyable, it’s feels more like a thrifting trip to flip through the pages. A beautiful addition to any coffee table.
12. The New Southern Style: The Inspiring Interiors of a Creative Movement by Alyssa Rosenheck: $26 This is not a book about one type of decor, but rather it’s a stunning movement and thoughtful book about change and connectivity and creativity–something everyone needs and possesses.
13. Travel Home: Design with a Global Spirit by Caitlyn Flemming and Julie Goebel: $27 There’s not a lot of traveling going on right now, but this book can help you dream! Interiors from all over the world, plus really good ideas of ways to start bring international culture into your home.
14. Made for Living: Collected Interiors for All Sorts of Styles by Amber Lewis: $36 Amber’s book is like stepping into her sweet brain and getting all of her tips for a livable interior, and it’s as visually satisfying as scrolling her instagram.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home