In the last few months we have traveled back and forth to Raleigh four times and it felt so different after not traveling for a whole year! But also invigorating. Now that it’s safer to do so, travel and hosting are coming back! While your guest room might have functioned as an office last year, you might be ready to make some room for guests, too. (You might have seen in the video tour, there’s a little guest house on our new property and we are already looking forward to hosting future guests.)
Below we’ve rounded up two fun favorite categories to get you started easing back in. One for the happy host (including our fav air mattress and fun things we like to load up in a basket for guests!). And the other for the traveler–storage cubes (where I have been without these?!) and a few beautiful carry ons that I’ve been eyeing from Walmart!
Whether you’re planning a trip, or anticipating a guest, we don’t want to take another moment for granted so we’re upgrading our experiences a bit more and Walmart is the perfect way to do that without breaking the bank.
For the Traveler
1. Travel Hand Sanitizer $7 – I keep this in my purse at all times and every time I pull it out (frequently!) I get about 3 additional hands in my space silently requesting to share. And YES!! This one smells so gooooood. Like, at least a million times better than the straight alcohol sanitizer.
2. Beige Face Mask $13 – I LOVE these masks. They are REALLY breathable, have 3 layers, adjustable securing bands and just feel really secure with excellent quality. And I love the neutral color!
3. Carry-on Suitcase $45 – The prettiest carry-on I ever did see.
4. Weekender Bag $51 – Not going too far? This vegan leather weekender is perfect for an overnighter and so stylish.
5. Clear Toiletry Bags $13 This may be the most underrated travel tool of all time. I pack each one with my makeup, skincare and toiletries and I feel so organized on the go! It’s a must!
6. Checkered Shoulder Tote $46 – Walmart!! You have outdone yourself with this dupe! This one fits a smaller laptop and so much more. I really like to make my second bag double as my purse when I’m traveling and this one is such a great option.
7. Packing Cubes $15 – Do you use packing cubes? I recently started and I’m never going back. It’s a great way to pack and organize different categories (I love them for underwear, accessories, even dirty laundry!).
8. Leather Tote $24 – I have this tote and it’s so cute and functional. It even has a padded sleeve that fits my 15″ laptop. It’s small enough to carry as my purse and large enough to fit everything I need at an arm’s reach during a flight.
For the Host
1. Slippers $9 – Slippers feel like such a luxury when you’re not at home and somehow make you feel like you are! These are so so cute and a great price (I always size up to be safe for guests!)
2. 6-Piece Towel Set $27 – A stack of fresh towels to make any guest feel like they’re at a 5 star hotel.
3. Luggage Rack $98 – This is one of those things that you never really think about until you ARE a guest and trying to figure out the best place to put your suitcase. We have one of these and it’s so exciting when people get to use it!
4. Makeup Remover Towelettes $2 – These makeup remover wipes will put your guests at ease!! Don’t worry about the white towels and white pillow cases–I got you!
5. Lip Mask $3 – Traveling always makes my lips dry so I’m guessing I’m not the only one. This feels like a total spa-like splurge as a guest, but in reality it’s only $3!
6. Striped Sheet Set $24 – The cutest sheets to dress up any mattress (even if it’s filled with air).
7. Toasted Coconut Almonds $9 – If you haven’t tried these, run. Grab an extra can and stash it in your night stand too. I love providing a little personal snack for our guests in case they get hungry.
8. Air Mattress $78 – The truth is, you DON’T need an entire guest room or even a guest bed or a pull out couch. An air mattress is such a great investment! Buy the air mattress already and invite someone over!
Now I’m curious, do you like traveling or hosting better? (I actually prefer hosting!!)
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home