Every home needs to have a hard working utilitarian space to drop your things and go–a mudroom! Having a designated space that you’re coming and going from every day is going to keep things at home running more smoothly! And that’s what a mudroom is for. In addition to the dorm room mood board for grads headed to college and today I have a good one for you. As you’re getting your homes ready for the upcoming season change, here’s a mudroom mood board to give you some inspiration.
Surprisingly, we were missing a mudroom in our house when we moved in–okay, still are. But we come and go through our garage door and there’s a little hallway that opens up into the kitchen! This is where we added that striped grasscloth wallpaper and I want to paint all the trim and doors in this space a color eventually! It also opens up to a staircase that leads directly into the bonus room and this is why we made a designated locker area up there. So every day after school, the girls go straight up the stairs and drop off the backpacks and jackets.
In our garage we have a little station for umbrellas, rain boots, and our favorite reusable grocery bags. Right now we also have a garage fridge and I’m thinking that once our new kitchen fridge is in place, we can get rid of the garage one. This would free up the perfect space for some mudroom things.
We also have a coat closet next to the powder bathroom that we store our seasonal coats and jackets in. We’re definitely not missing out on storage!
I would say, spend some time making your utilitarian mudroom a functional and beautiful space for your family! A hard working room like that deserves some time and attention so let’s get into it.
This is obviously a mood board for a room, but you might only have a wall with room for a bench, hooks, and a mirror. Either way, you need a designated space for all your things. It really sets the tone as you’re coming and going, so take inspiration where you can!
1. Painted Shiplap MDF $12 This is meant to be some vertical paneling. I love a wall treatment in a mudroom because it’s easier to wipe down than textured walls. Check out this post, “How to Add Paneling to Any Wall or Room” for a tutorial.
2. Rattan Shade Chandelier $470 The light fixture is the splurge piece in here. Lighting is the way to add personality to a space, so I always recommend putting some budget behind this line item.
3. Savina Mirror $109 Every mudroom needs a mirror (for getting a quick glance on your way out), and every room needs a pop of black. This is that! I love the simple rectangular shape in a large size that will bounce light around.
4. De Nimes Paint Color – This paint color is the perfect slate blue gray. It’s meant to go on the paneling AND the armoir because I love a good tone on tone.
5. Hook Rack $298 The warm wood tone of this hook rack is sending me. Beautiful curves, and such a practical design.
6. Grimsby Armoire $349.99. Like I said before, this armoire is unfinished and meant to be painted the same De Nimes paint color as your paneling! It’s filled with a hanging rack, shelves and drawers!
7. Umbrella Holder $175 (similar!)Even your mudroom needs a conversation starter and I can’t think of something more fun to talk about than this!
8. Honed Marble Mosaic Tile $31.69 Next, we have this tile! If you were lucky enough to score some FloorPops with the relaunch, those would go great in here! I also love this black mosaic pattern.
9. Everyspace Doormat $34.95 This is a waterhog and will absolutely suck up any moisture that you put on it without soaking through. They’re amazing for wet and/or snowy climates.
10. Modern Oak Dining Bench $324.99 If you don’t have a bench to sit on while putting your shoes on, then you’re missing out.
11. Hunter Tall Rain Boot $170 These are just the boots that I imagine wearing out on a rainy day.
12. Sheet Metal Boot Tray $49.99 To go with your new boots.
13. Austin Utility Basket $69 Lastly in this mudroom mood board is a basket for storing your gloves and scarves and hats and things!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home