Late August through Mid October are my favorite weeks of the year. Partly because I love wearing light jackets, but mostly because the produce is never better than right now. All of my favorite foods will be at their peak for the next couple months, which makes me so excited to share with you so many of my favorite dishes!
This is definitely one of them. It’s so simple, really highlights the season, and feels like it should be eaten while sitting by a fire, surrounded by trees whose leaf tips are just starting to show the first hints of yellow and red. I love this dish and I hope you do, too.
Gnocchi With Harvest Vegetables
- 4 servings gnocchi
- 2 cups green beans cut into 1in pieces
- 1 cup sugar snap peas cut into 1/2in pieces
- 6 mushrooms cut into quarters
- 5 green onions white parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves only, no stem
- 4 strips thick cut bacon cut into 1in pieces
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed, not concentrate
- 1/4 cup finely grated hard cheese like manchego or parmesan
- Put a large pot of water on to boil and season with salt, pepper, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- In a nonstick pan fry the bacon over medium heat until the edges start to brown. Use a paper towel to soak up most of the bacon grease and add 1-2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the green beans, onion, and mushrooms to the bacon and toss together. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté for several minutes, tossing every couple minutes.
- Once the beans begin to turn a more vibrant green, add the peas, garlic and herbs. Toss together and sauté for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sage in the vegetables has cooked and crisped up, add the gnocchi to the pot of boiling water and cook until it floats to the top. Use a slotted spoon to take out of the pot once they float and add directly to the pan with the vegetables. Add nutmeg and lemon zest and toss to combine everything evenly. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and add olive oil if needed.
- Add cheese, toss and sauté for another minute until the cheese melts in. Serve and enjoy!