Do you ever try looking back over your past year and feel like you haven’t done anything? I’ve been feeling that way here and there, focusing on the things we haven’t yet started/finished and feeling behind. But in preparations for this year’s video tour (embedded below), Jules and I watched the tour from last year. And the one from when we moved in (!?!). Sometimes I think all of our accomplishments from the past blur together and we forget to give ourselves a little credit. Because this year – wow, what a year its been for our home. Lots of little details all around the house that have really brought it a long way in feeling “finished” (though it’s not quite). We had our favorite videographer, Jordan Borrowman of Spectra Films, run through our home in the same format as last year. We love the comparison of the two side by side, and can’t believe how much progress has been made. Take a look!
Things to note:
• While we’ve come a long way, our home is still in-progess. So when you see our not-so-great master bath or the occasional missing doorknob, bear with us. We love the unfinished nature of these videos, so we can look back on them later and say, “Whoa…”
• Our home has a lot of natural light, and during the day our lights are usually off. But for video tours, we turn them all on to make everything look just a little more home-y.
• We still have some progress posts to share about the girls’ bathroom downstairs, but I hope you enjoyed the little peek into the finished space (that’s right – it’s finally done!).
• Day-to-day, I wouldn’t call our home “messy” – more “lived in.” We rarely feel reservations about people dropping by due to the lived in look, but for this video tour, we cleaned for 2 days straight.
• Because of Jules’ pregnancy and so many other projects, we’ve literally only had 2 get-togethers out on our deck all summer. Cleaning weeks and weeks of neglect off of an outdoor space is a task, let me tell you. Thank Heavens for furniture with washable cushion covers and for weather-proof pillows.
• While we planned for the final shot to end on us playing in our new outdoor space, what wasn’t planned was Charly. She always picks a spot to lay down where she can see all of us, no matter where we are. Because she’s the world’s greatest dog.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home