In this week’s podcast, we are diving deep into all of the questions we have gotten about blogging and have an open and honest conversation about what it takes. For the first time, we’re also discussing why, when and how Chris quit his job, and the lessons we have learned about separating criticism from critique. We share a few tips on how we have grown our following organically. We also answer some tough questions you’ve asked, like “Do you feel like you’re at the mercy of your readers to survive financially?” and “Is there room in the field to start a blog today?” We’re holding nothing back and can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this week’s episode.
You can stream the episode right here:
In this episode, you will hear us refer to a few things, including:
• Our new gallery wall in the dining room, which wasn’t 100% well received in the comments of the original post, but we’re so happy with the overall response that it got and how so many of you have ordered the frames or DIYed something similar in your own home already! (Keep sending us pictures and tagging us on Instagram–we love to see!)
• One of our favorite “blogging voices” is Daniel Kanter from ManhattanNest.com. He writes just like he talks and it’s so fun to read.
• Here’s the hilarious photo of the basketball drawing I did in my first drawing class as an art major where I thought I would get all the praise, but actually just learned a valuable lesson on constructive criticism vs. plain criticism.
• We refer to tips outlined in this post we did last year on how we grew our Instagram following rapidly and organically. I recently ordered this Ligntning to SD Camera Card reader so I can plug my SD card directly into my phone, which makes taking high quality photos with my actual camera for Instagram even faster.
Can’t Get You Outta My Mind Segment
• Chris has been mastering the art of fermented bread for health reasons, but it tastes amazing and we’re all hooked!
He is learning through this book, which he couldn’t love more. And after several weeks of trial and error, has found his favorite supplemental tools to use, which are:
• Preston took the plunge and upgraded to an iPhone7 plus and is never looking back (well, probably until the next upgrade is available).
• The computer that I bragged about only having to replace the battery for just last episode, gave up the ghost. My logic board crashed, and although I was able to get everything off of it, it still required me getting a new computer. We contemplated ordering another one through this eBay store, where we have ordered a few fantastic refurbished laptops from in the past at a screaming deal (and encouraged our family and friends to do the same), but our local store gave us a big discount on a new, in box one since they had just announced the new MacBook models that same day. (The touch bar is very fancy!)
This Episode is sponsored by Brooklinen. They sent us their Luxe Hardcore Sheet Bundle with a Window Pane Sheet and their Bedford Smoke Stripe Duvet cover back in April and we could not be happier. Our listeners get $20 off PLUS Free Shipping with code CLJ at checkout!