We’re starting our gift guides a little early this year because white elephant parties (occasionally grouped together with ugly sweater parties) are already popping up on our calendar and I couldn’t bear the thought of our readers being without the gift under their arm. Here’s the thing about white elephant gifts–they kind of need to be funny. It’s an unspoken rule. Usually the only spoken rule about white elephant is the gift should be under $20 (or some other inexpensive limit) and then sometimes you show up with bath and body works lotion and I mean, that’s fine. But (!!) if you want your gift to be the star while simultaneously making the party fun–bring something funny that makes every one laugh and is traded more than any other. Here are 17 ideas that will do just that.
1. Llama Desk Duster $15. This Llama-shaped duster is adorable and hilarious and, actually, functional. Its long neck is bend-able and covered in shaggy microfiber yarn that picks up dust from hard-to-reach spaces.
2. Bob Ross Bobblehead $12. Not only does the head bobble–it speaks! This mini bobblehead figure captures Bob Ross’s matchless likeness by playing 10 different wise sayings from the happy painter himself. It also, naturally, comes with a mini easel book featuring Ross’s landscape works which can be displayed alongside your bobblehead to create a truly day-brightening little shrine.
3. Mr. and Mrs. Doo Toilet Bowl Freshener $7. There’s nothing like the gift of bathroom odor prevention, am I right?
4. Unicorn Tape Dispenser $15. This unicorn tape dispenser comes with two rolls of rainbow tape–perfect for crafting or gift wrapping. You’re essentially gifting happiness.
5. Who’s Most Likely To Game $13. Who’s Most Likely To… is our absolute new favorite game. Decide who would be “most likely to…” ranging from “wake up with half a burrito in bed” to “go out if they didn’t have to get off the couch” (me!!) and listen as your friends try to defend themselves. Everyone is both a valiant winner and a total loser with this one.
6. Fanny Pack Kittens T-Shirt $15. This essential tee. That’s all. (Also in black!)
7. Tiny Dog Book $10. A tiny dog eating cake. A tiny dog in a teacup. Tiny dogs walking outside. Squeee!!!
8. The Very Embarrassing Book of Dad Jokes $12. Really great gift for soon-to-be dads, new dads and old dads alike. Classic even.
9. Bubble Wrap Suit $24. Imagine unwrapping a bubble suit? How happy would you be? (That “What am I going to do with this?! look is what Christmas is all about.) Really good for a clumsy friend? Ps. I realize this one isn’t under $15–won’t happen again.
10. Awkward Family Photos 2018 Day-to-Day Calendar $10. Perhaps the most quintessential White Elephant gift, the best of the best when it comes to the most absurd, uncomfortable, and embarrassing family pictures captured on film. In calendar form so they can enjoy it every. single. day. of. the. year. And laugh. And think of you.
11. 32 GB Thumb Drive $13. Get it, thumb drive? And it’s a thumb. And it’s going to be sticking out of their computer!
12. Toilet Golf $10. Potty Putt Putt, if you will. And they will.
13. Holiday Beard Baubles $13. 9 perfectly festive clip-on ornaments for that beard he’s been growing out.
14. Holiday Who Am I Party Hat Game $13. Strap on the party hat and slide a card in the slot without looking and then you have to guess who you are by conversing with others. (Anyone remember that episode of The Office?)
15. Holiday Toilet Paper $8. Festive toilet paper with holiday jokes on it. You can’t go wrong!
16. Queen Shower Cap $9. First of all, why are we all not not washing our hair while wearing this?
17. Lightbox Keychain $11. The trendiest (okay, second trendiest i.e. letter board) home decor addition of 2017 is now available in a little keychain and my heart is melting.
Omg, so many funny, and FUN, gift ideas!
Your comments were hilarious. Thanks for the laugh:)
These are great! I ordered the llama dust buster and the toilet paper for an upcoming exchange!
You sucked me in again. I usually don’t make time to read blogs, but couldn’t resist white elephant ideas. Amen that they should be funny. Especially love the thumb drive and Awkward Family photos calendar. ❤️❤️
Being from Europe I have never heard of a white elephant party, what is it?
This is so hilarious! I actually laughed at so many of these! Nailed it.
This is fantastic — Soo many funny gifts here — Now I need to figure out which ones to do – I would like to buy them all!!
Toilet Golf! ????This is such a fun post! Thank you!!!
Oh this is so good! I’m always scrambling at the last minute!
So so do well done Julia. Makes me want to have a white elephant party!!! Like right this minute!! I am curious about the rules for the game.
Spot on and hilarious!
This is absolutely the best gift guide ever. Thank you!!!
These are great! I might gift some of these as real gifts to my family members.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
We recently painted our study a dark, moody green color. This is after we first painted it a muddy green, then repainted it a blue-gray. I guess what they say is true; third time’s a charm! The journey was worth it, though, because I’m so in love with this glossy green in contrast with the […]
We've been doing this since 2009 and we've posted a whopping 24145+ blog posts and counting. You might need a little help searching, huh?
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Welcome to our online community where we've posted home, DIY, style, renovations, and family since '09. Renovating our #cljmoderncottage in Idaho and headed for new adventures in Raleigh, NC. #cljfam #cljtransformations
Make yourself right at home
What do you think?