We decided to continue to live in a hotel down the street from our house until our moving truck comes on 7/21 (and the floors are ready for us!). However, my mom just booked a ticket to come see us on July 23rd! So the guest house needs a good scrubbing and we need to get it ready!! Clean it, for sure. Paint it–I hope!
It first needs to be CLEANED. It smells very stale and there are cobwebs and dust everywhere. That’s priority one. It doesn’t need to be painted, but bonus points. Honestly, it’ll never be easier. And here’s a secret–I’m tempted to paint the floors. These are the Brazilian cherry floors that we removed in the main house but we didn’t do anything in here because the guest house will be a completely different renovation down the road–so part of me is thinking why not paint the floors in the interim?!
Someone talk me out of it or I’m going for it. There’s a lot I want to do before our first very special guest arrives (hi, mom!), but I realize there are only a few things that are a must.
• A lamp to immediately cozy the place up.
• A stocked fridge. We’re so lucky the guest house has a full kitchen that we’ll be using until our kitchen in the main house is completed.
• Bathroom essentials (extra toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, towels, toothpaste, floss!
• Some sort of bedside table (You can even use a chair, or these $9 folding table that can travel around in a pinch in the future.)
• Display the Wifi password prominently somewhere. It’s cute in a mini frame on a nightstand.
• Allow for temperature control. I love layering soft sheets, with a light coverlet and then a warm duvet so our guests can choose how many or little blankets they need. I also put a basket with extra blankets by the bed–you never know. I’m someone that always needs an extra blanket!
Last note, we love our Sleep Number bed and honestly miss it right now. But over the years, we have switched every other bed in our house to this hybrid mattress and our guests always ask what kind it is because it’s so comfortable! Highly recommend it!
More phase 1 updates to come!! Here’s some other fun things from this week.
• This short sleeved sweater in the prettiest ochre color, that I picked up for a steal this week made me feel so incredibly put together after wearing the same 4 oversized t-shirts for the last 26 days.
• My go-to, tried and true lash serum is 2 for 1 in the Nordstrom sale! (I added it to my wish list to stock up!)
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home