This year, my whole family was able to get together after Christmas, with sisters flying in from Mexico and Pittsburgh. We partied hard, filling every day with food, games, playing with the babies, bouncing from house to house to cabin, to the movies. In fact, I told Chris, it feels like we did everything over the holidays–except relax. Haha!
One thing I thought would be fun to share is the favorite games we played! Our whole family loves a good game night and we played so many over the holidays. Here were some of my favorites:
1. Scum. When I showed my family playing this card game up at our cabin over Christmas, a few of you chimed in that you know it as a$$ho#*. By either name, my whole family loves this game and we often play it with our friends, too. All you need is two decks of cards for a group. Here’s a breakdown of the rules.
2. The Game of Things. We played this with some friends at a New Year’s party and then went out and bought it and played with my family because it’s so fun! It’s a game you can play it as couples or individuals where you read the hilarious topics and write down your answers, then try and guess who said what.
3. Telephone Pictionary. Maybe our favorite game of all time, that we play year after year with all sorts of groups–even Greta joined this time! Everyone gets as many little pieces of paper as there are people playing. It’s helpful to number them. Everybody starts out by writing whatever phrase they want. Then everyone passes their whole stack to the left and that person looks at the phrase, puts the paper in back and draws the phrase. The next person will write what they see drawn. Next person will draw what that person wrote and by the time it gets back to the original person–the drawing is generally so different than what the original phrase started as, you have to show everyone. We take turns showing the progression and laughing hysterically.
4. Time’s Up! If you’re familiar with the game “Celebrity” then you know what Time’s Up is all about. The first round you try to get your partner to say what’s on your card (could be a person, movie, song, book, place, etc.!) by saying pretty much anything besides what’s on the card, the second round you can only say one word and the third round you can only act it out. It’s one of our favorite party games and we still haven’t gotten through all the cards it came with!
5. Karaoke. Ever since I got a karaoke machine for Christmas back when I was a tween, we’ve had a karaoke night around Christmas time. Nowadays, the setup is a little different. We use our TV (it’s one of those smart ones that can access apps including YouTube) as the Karaoke machine–YouTube has never let us down as far as lyrics and songs go–and these mics that can hold your smartphone and sync with your bluetooth if you don’t have a smart TV you want to use.
More fun things this week:
• This week, my friend Brittany, from @brittanymakes and The Vintage Rug Shop, shared some interesting thoughts on her Instagram Stories. More and more people are saying they aren’t able to see the people they want to in their instagram feeds. And so instead of scrolling, they are watching Instagram Stories–which is forcing people to curate their stories more…making them look a certain way–which is the opposite of what Stories SHOULD be. I don’t know the answer or what to do on our end. I’d love to keep our stories more candid and our feed more polished, but it’s been on my mind, too. What do you want to see from us on Instagram?
• I’ve been reading Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown and I’m devouring it. It’s not about essentialism in the home sense, but in the time sense. It’s great for entrepreneurs or anyone that’s tired or stretched thin from trying to do it all.
• We’re refreshing our bedroom a little bit this year and love this one below by @courtneynye. It’s so simple, calm, effortless, but sophisticated. I’m using it as our inspiration.
• This was my favorite Christmas gift from Chris.
Hope you all have a great weekend! We are headed to Seattle this morning–It’ll be Polly’s first flight! I was invited to tour the HGTV Dream Home in Gig Harbor, Washington and will be sharing lots of highlights and a live tour on my Instagram! Can’t wait!
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home