After our bathroom reveal this week, I got this funny question on Instagram:
“Did it turn out as planned or are you surprised with how good it looks?”
I had to laugh because I think this was meant as a compliment–But it also got me thinking. When I made the mood board for our bathroom, early last summer–is the bathroom I’m looking at now the one that I saw in my mind? Honestly, Almost! There were a few twists and turns along the way. I changed the light fixture and went on a whole curtain and rug journey and ended up with neither–but it allowed me to fill the walls with art that I’m head over heels with. I had planned for the beautiful cabinet in the photo above to be freestanding in the bathroom to serve as linen storage and we had to move the shower wall 6″ to house plumbing and it was just too tight so now it lives in the dining room. And I’m SO HAPPY IT DIDN’T FIT BECAUSE I LOVE IT HERE! (And there’s so much storage in that bathroom). I think that’s the wonderful thing about having a plan, but also being open and flexible and pivoting.
As hard as it is for a renovation to drag, I love a slow design process because it leaves room for improvement. It allows me to sit on something for 2 weeks and then ask, “what if we did THIS instead?!” And before I know it, I’m hanging art and filling a cabinet in my dining room. The surprises often turn out for the best because they push me creatively.
The wisest words I read this week came from Kate, “My favorite homes are those that look unapologetically like the people who live there. From the way someone styles a side table to the art they select to the collections they display on shelves, their design is not about being right or wrong. Their design is a reflection of what they love.” I hope I always always remember this as I hone my personal style and keep sharing our room evolutions with all of you. That although I’m sharing publicly, home and home style is so so personal. Read all of her tips on honing your personal design style here.
More fun things this week!
• These $15 sunglasses are gooooood (I got the brown!)
• The prettiest curtains and dark walls–I can’t stop thinking about it!
• I got these acrylic book ledges for Polly’s room and I can’t wait to hang them today! I love how the substantial size!
• Most of you agreed with my assessment on the best workout tights, but these were the most recommended activewear leggings that I don’t have in the comments! I have ordered them and will report back!
• Another pretty bathroom.
• Our Good Influence(r) program is now a monthly subscription! For a low monthly price, you get access to both of our influencer courses and membership to the influencer mastermind. Open enrollment ends Sunday, so bounce to it!
• I have not been in love with any mascara lately, but this vegan, gf mascara is INCREDIBLE. My lashes are long and voluminous but not clumpy. And no itching!! Really good!
Madewell: Up to an extra 40% off sale with code WOWIE (Can’t say no to a half-zip.)