This week has been a whirlwind. I surprised Chris with a weekend getaway last week for his birthday, and we ended up rushing home early because of a high fever–he was diagnosed with pneumonia last Friday and it definitely got worse before it got better. But after a week in bed, he is thankfully doing so much better. Still not 100% (the doctor said it could be 6 weeks!) but we had dinner around the table as a family last night (something we generally do every night) and I realized how much I was missing that. It was good to see him up.
While he was down, I did some thrifting and found this cool lamp for $5 and an accordion shade for $3 that I paired with it. I’ve been noticing a shift back to chimney style shades–the triangle shape, and the more exaggerated, the better!–for awhile now and even purchased a pair with a chimney shade for our bedroom (remember this mood board–they finally arrived!). Turns out, not everyone is a fan. hahaha. My DMs blew up with messages that I have “lost my touch” and I couldn’t help but laugh. I think some people may have been scarred by pleated shades of the past or aren’t quite ready to embrace the traditional tidal wave that’s moving into design. But if you do want to dip a toe in, a thrifted option is such a great way to try on the trend without a lot of investment.
We’ll likely put it in our living room for the long term, but I’m loving it on the kitchen counter too!
Other fun things this week!
• The Weekend Type, a curated artist print shop, just launched and I’m loving their Thyme print!
• We are installing a master bedroom in a model home next week and I have loved the challenge of putting together a room with lots of personality on a small budget. I ordered this bed (a refreshing take on the iron beds everywhere right now) and I can’t wait to see it in place!
• You know how when you decide on something you suddenly start seeing it everywhere and it either confirms your decision, or in some cases makes you think twice. In the case of our checkerboard floors going in the dining room–I just keep getting MORE and MORE excited for them with every other example I see. Check out this beautiful bathroom in@parkanddivision’s bathroom. Hubba hubba!
• I’ve been on the hunt for a whiteboard or calendar for our office and I came across this acrylic and brass one that took my breath away!!!
• My coat. THE COAT I can’t stop wearing right now. I don’t think there’s a more me coat. (I got a medium, but it’s naturally oversized so a small would have worked!)
• A diary entry from a 9 year old that has had me laughing for 2 weeks now. (I’m serious!)
• 25% off EVERYTHING at Anthropologie today only! It’s their best sale day all year. You’ll need to sign up for anthroperks which is free and just your email!
• My favorite linen banner is half off (plus, free shipping!)
• I’m in love with this space by Lisa Staton Design. The tones. The paneling. The art ledge. The mix of traditional and modern. Taking so many notes! (psst–a really similar marble side table for a steal!)
• Tonight we are hosting a murder mystery dinner party at our house in lieu of our traditional HUGE halloween party we usually throw (and between me and you, we’re feeling like this might be our new thing). We’ll share all the details on Monday! Have a happy weekend!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
In case you missed the announcement in our Love Letter, the wallpaper is officially installed in the laundry room, and I could not be ANY MORE IN LOVE! My ultimate goal for the laundry room was to create a space that is fresh, clean, bright, and a little utilitarian (the straight-laid tile floors definitely bring that). With […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home