Happy March and goodbye, February! This week, we washed the inside and outside of all the windows in our house and everything felt brighter. (There’s definitely a lesson there) We looked at a few flip houses and watched The Parent Trap (the Lindsay Lohan version which is NOT as good as the Hayley Mills version, imo) with our girls. And also Spider-verse because when you don’t have a house that needs a bunch of projects to work on, apparently you have way more time for movie nights. Haha! We’re happy to wave goodbye to February, but I’m so glad Jordan caught some good moments throughout the month. In this month’s recap video, you’ll see peeks at our last weekend at the cabin, working on the loft bathroom, Greta’s birthday (going to a Hibachi grill 2 days after the cabin burned down was not the best choice, I had a major anxiety attack with all the fire bursts, but Greta had a good time and I walked around with Polly), Valentine’s day, two houses that we looked at flipping and more! Enjoy!
• In the last few weeks, we’ve had a lot of caring people reach out to us that also experienced a house fire, and mention that the next few weeks and months are going to be really difficult and to cling to each other. I didn’t really know what they meant or how it could get more difficult, but sadly it has in some ways. The insurance process is long and tedious and there were some things unique to our case (that I can’t discuss) that have made it more difficult. But there has been some light. I loved reading Maria Goff’s article in Magnolia Journal winter issue about the rebuilding of their family cabin after it burned down. “I think we all get the chance to do a little rebuilding at some point in our lives. It might be a career, a relationship, an ambition, or even our faith that has felt like it was washed out to sea. But it’s what we do next that tells us more about how we’re growing as people.”
• I ran out of my face cream this week and instead of buying it again–like I have every time for the past two years, I branched out and tried something new. This is generally my least favorite thing to do. I’m a creature of habit, especially when it comes to my skin. But while I was in Sephora, I started testing out creams on my hand to see which one felt the best on my skin. Almost instantly after putting this Water Cream from Tatcha, it felt cool and smooth and light weight. Then I googled reviews to see if my assessment was on, and thousands of others agreed–this stuff is really amazing. A week in and I couldn’t love it more.
• People are generally shocked when I tell them I only have one purse. But I’ve just never been a bag person! The last one I bought was a brown leather Fossil one for my birthday 3ish years ago and I’ve used it nearly every day since. This past weekend, I went to Utah with some friends and on my shopping list was a new bag. Another one that I could wear and wear and wear with everything. One that would get better with age and was roomy, but not too big that things would get lost. I settled on this beautiful crossbody in black. I adore the handles so I could carry it that way if I want to and comes in 6 colors and I can’t believe I didn’t get the green either–it’s true love.
• Nicole’s column gallery wall stopped me in my tracks this week. And has been thinking where I can add one.
• We launched a new Propertee design this week! Love Thy Neighborhood. It’s one I hand-scripted back in September and it’s on the prettiest dusty rose tee. We’re offering free shipping on orders over $50 through March! (No coupon needed)
• This before and after from Light and Dwell blows me away! The arch. The floor. The art. The green. What incredible vision they have.
• Dwell Magazine featured us as one of their 10 Home Renovators to follow right now on Instagram. It’s such a flattering suggestion, really, and it came with an extensive interview for each person. They talked to us a few weeks ago, before everything changed, about how we approach our home renovation vs. our cabin renovation. Regrets. Advice. Jokes about renovating in the winter, carrying our appliances up on sleds–it warmed my heart.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home