A few weeks ago, I was going through Instagram Stories and a fashion blogger that I follow started talking about how a few months ago she was feeling unmotivated to blog and the creativity wasn’t free-flowing like it once had been. My interest was piqued because I, too, have had long stretches of feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated and uninspired in the last year. She and I came to the same realization–I was stretched too thin. I’ve learned for me, stress can kill creativity faster than just about anything else. I have felt it over and over and it was so validating to hear that someone else came to the same conclusion. Her cure was simple: she needed to hire someone and we did, too. We haven’t talked about it very much, but in the fall, we hired an intern! Her name is Brooke and she is majoring in Film Production at the local university and knows the Adobe programs pretty well. We actually first met her when she nannied for us in the Spring and when she started school again in the fall, we didn’t want to lose her! Our workload just keeps getting bigger and bigger as we take on more projects have more ideas and hiring Brooke on part-time has really helped me feel motivated and even excited again! She is just such a kind, sweet, hard worker who is easy to love–and bonus, can operate a camera. While she doesn’t write anything for the blog, she creates links, puts together mood boards (with pieces I choose), helps set up photo shoots we have, and so much more. After the holidays, we sat down together and filled in an editorial calendar for the entire month–that’s never happened before!–and I am feeling so ready for 2018. We have so many big ideas, but also a lot of roles and while there are things only I can do: be a mom to our girls, be Chris’s wife, feed Polly, write this blog, post on Instagram, design the rooms we want to do—there are things that anyone can do: create links, edit pictures, steam something for a photoshoot, etc. So I guess what I’m saying is, in 2018, I’m focusing on doing the things that only I can do, and doing them really well. I want to be a great mom and a great wife and create exceptional content. And now I’m not afraid to hire out the other things–I think that will help me be a better me.
Other Fun things this week!
• This flat-lay confirms it once again–Katie Hackworth can do no wrong (and I want to be her). Yes, please!
• My favorite Valentine’s shirt for kids–$9! (haha!)
• Thank you all so much for the feedback on our bathroom layout this week! You definitely gave us a lot to think about and we’re tweaking a few things!
• I don’t know where my mind is, but somehow I didn’t realize when the Hearth and Hand Target collection came out before Christmas that there would be a Spring collection, too! Like, of course this is going to be an ongoing thing! This season I have my eye on these 5 things:
- this dinner bell which I adore (I have a thing for dinner bells!)
- this stoneware pitcher that would make a great vase, too!
- this floor pillow
- this leather storage bin (omg)
- and this cute calendar!
• Natasha has been practicing Konmari for three years and I’m glued to all of her organizing posts!
• I just bought some new faux stems (these) for the front room so I thought it was a good time to round up a few favorite faux plants!
1. Fig Branch | 2. Olive Branch | 3. Snake Plant | 4. Fig Tree | 5. Green Petal Branch | 6. Olive Stem | 7. Fig Tree | 8. Hydrangea Stem | 9. Fig Plant | 10. Monstera Leaf | 11. Eucalyptus Branch | 12. Fern Spray
Hope you all have a great weekend! We’re going to start posting a quick post on Saturdays with a list of the weekend sales happening as a bonus post–since they can clog up my Instagram Stories fast–so look for that tomorrow!