We’ve been dreaming of purchasing a small cabin in the mountains for over two years now and for the last 9 months, we have been actively looking at properties. Our ideal is something on the small and cozy size that is surrounded by trees, needs a little TLC, has winter access, and one that we could rent out when we’re not using it. This week, we found her. Or we thought we did. It was the perfect size, at just under 1200 square feet. And each of the three bedrooms had windows with trees out every one. Just as we were ready to make an offer, our realtor discovered this cabin couldn’t be rented out due to the area covenants. It’s hard to get so excited about something and then have it not work out. Even now, days later, I’m still naively holding out hope that something will change. But on the other hand, even though it’s hard to imagine now, I know that this means there’s an even better one out there waiting for us. The search continues! In the meantime, if you’re into cabin-y decor (or how we are getting inspired to one day decorate in the style) I’ve been a pinning machine right here…annnddd we might have subscribed to Mountain Living.
More fun things this week!
• What are your favorite kinds of Instagram Stories to follow? @JennyKomenda is tackling a complete home renovation and I love seeing all the progress–even if we’re only in the demo phase right now. I also strangely love it when someone goes into a Target or Container Store or World Market and shows me all the awesome, affordable things to buy–Haha.
• Speaking of InstaStories, I shared a couple days ago that I had cleaned our globe lights in the kitchen–something I do quarterly. I had so many messages about how I do it–and it’s so easy. It takes, literally, 5 minutes. I just remove the glass globes, wash them with regular dish soap and water, dry them inside and then out with a non-shedding dish towel and put them back up. I used to try to do it with glass cleaner and a variety of other products, but dish soap and water works the best and is so effective and easy.
• The Keepers premieres on Netflix today! There has been quite a bit of hype surrounding it, calling it the next “Making a Murderer”–which we devoured. Are you gonna watch it?
• This skirt is the perfect length, so soft and stretchy and can be dressed up or down. Bottom line, it’s going to get me through the summer!
• With the completion of the nursery, we realized we have officially tackled so many kinds of bedrooms in our house over the last year–the girls’ room, the guest room, the master bedroom and the nursery. Each was tackled with a different age in mind, but all with the same purpose–sleep! We’re sharing our Tips for creating Sleep-Inducing Environments for Everyone in the House right here.
• Don’t miss the giveaway we’re running over on Instagram for a sweet “welcome home” box full of goodies! It closes Sunday!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home