All the schools have been cancelled in the area the past two days (except the University) because of extreme cold weather. -25 to be exact. Greta was thrilled, even if she only started school again after the break on Tuesday! Ha! I still had a doctor’s appointment to go to and the inside of the door at the office was complete ice. It’s freezing here. Like, so, so ridiculously cold you can’t touch the steering wheel or front door handle without a glove on.
We’ve taken the forced hibernation as an opportunity to get started cleaning out our storage room. We emptied everything out of the room and organized it into three gigantic piles of keep, toss and donate. Happily, the keep pile is the smallest. It already feels like a huge victory and we’re just getting started.
More fun things this week!
• We were named one of Domino’s top 10 best decorating blogs on a budget! We are in the best company with a lot of our other favorites and although the write-up isn’t 100% accurate (we’re definitely still working on our home!) seeing that pop-up on instagram and reading the whole article on their site was a highlight of my week!
• This kids’ bathroom in Caitlyn Wilson’s home is giving us major inspiration for our own girls’ bathroom renovation we’re planning right now. I love the pull out step stools, the basketweave tile behind the mirrors, and the fun patterned flooring! Her designs never disappoint!
• This deep green floral shirtdress is so. pretty. And it’s one of those dresses that can you can easily wear fall, winter and spring! I’m ordering it.
• I love nearly all of these (kind of fun) everyday new year resolution ideas! Switch from black to navy. Black is chic, but navy is soft.
• Did you get any great gifts over the holiday you didn’t even ask for? I always feel like those are the best kinds. Chris got me this coat for Christmas and it’s my favorite, favorite gift. It’s warm, and a little unique with the fastener at the top and I’ve gotten compliments every time I’ve worn it. I got him this All-Clad 8qt. perforated multi-pot (I even got his initials monogrammed on it!) and he has used it every day! When he opened it, he said, “You must really, really love me. You actually got me another pot?!”
• 10 Simple Things to Make you Happier At Home. Yes, yes, yes!
Stay warm this weekend!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home