1. I took 20 minutes and zhooshed the kitchen last Sunday, with a few new things and the freshness always makes me fall in love with a room all over again. It also inspires me to keep the counters clearer and invite someone new over.
We added this printable equivalents chart (I tore the edges of like in my print making classes in college) in this frame, and these nesting batter bowls. I got a lot of questions about the large white bowls on the top shelf–they are from Amazon right here. We use them for everything from Pho and Ramen to serving or a big bowl or cereal.
We also hung the hanging herbs back in the kitchen! Target still has the hanging planters (here) that we added some additional twine to to stagger them a bit. The twist? They’re faux herbs. The basil (from here) could not look more real! And we put these faux herbs in the other. Chris goes through our actual herbs so fast, hanging them wasn’t working or practical for him, but I missed the hanging planters and I’m so thrilled with the solution.
2. I started doing my nighttime facial routine as soon as I get the girls to bed, instead of two hours later when I’m too tired. It’s a small thing that feels like such a big, positive change. I take my time removing my makeup, and washing away the day and then sometimes I’ll do a mask and finish up with my favorite face and eye cream. Put on a line on lash boost above my lashes and my white strips on for 30 minutes. My skin feels so much happier. (I love this mask, this face cream and this eye cream.)
3. These 5 tips for photographing interiors. I’m always trying to improve!
4. I got dressed in real clothes every day. Because I work from home, it’s easy to fall into a loungewear habit, but a button up and jeans still makes me feel more productive sitting at my desk and it felt strangely fun wearing my clothes just for me–like my true self.
5. Our backyard playground was swarming with kids as the weather warmed up earlier this week.
6. I went to Target with a friend and didn’t force myself to love any of the new OpalHouse stuff. It’s just not for me, and that’s okay! (I did love this top though and totally bought it).
7. I tackled a big, easy, tedious DIY fabric project that I’m really excited about–and will share soon! But mostly it was so fun to just focus on a project I could do 100% myself again.
9. Instead of an alarm, I started using the bedtime option (it’s in the clock icon) and not only does it wake me up with the nicest tune, but it also lets me know 30 minutes before I need to go to sleep, to start winding down. Like a reverse alarm. I won’t start another episode. I’ll close my computer and just relax those last 30 minutes and I’ve been sleeping so much better–for 8 hours a night–waking up at 6:10 to hit the gym feels so much easier.
10. My new “leather” jacket came (I ended up going with this one from Express) and I haven’t stopped wearing it. It’s perfect and the weather is just right for it!
What made you happy this week?
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home