If I’m being honest, one thing I was dreading with moving was finding a new hair person… Little did I know that I would quickly fall in love with the first hair person I went to (found her on Instagramthe first hair person I went to (found her on Instagram)! Combine that with the humidity (hellloooo volume!) and I feel like I have had to get new grasp on my hair routine. I get a lot of questions on how I do my hair, so I thought I’d dedicate this post to spilling all the details.
I’ve never been shy about sharing that I wear hair extensions. I have Hashimoto’s and my hair has gotten really thin with the condition. These clip-in extensions have been my ride-or-die for years. I really liked the ease of use, how they made my hair appear instantly thicker and not needing to find someone every 6 weeks to re-do my extensions. However, they weren’t the best for my hair–always pulling out strands when I took them out at night. So for the last 9 months I switched to Natural Beaded Row extensions. I’ve noticed my hair has gotten longer and thicker since using them. The trade off is hair appointments every 7-8 weeks to move the hair up. It’s definitely an upgrade, but I’ve been so in love with them! I am currently wearing 22” natural beaded extensions my stylist ordered and color matched and sewed on my head! She said she ordered from Covet and Mane in two colors—6 and Dubai!
Besides that–here are the rest tried and true, hair products and tools.
I honestly don’t do a ton when it comes to my hair. I wash it once a week (usually on Saturdays) and besides that first day, I rarely use heat on it and really embrace the undone look. Maybe that’s obvious…lol.
1. Slip Silk Scrunchies $39 I typically leave my hair down (less breakage!), but when I do put it up, I love using these silk scrunchies or velvet ones! Cotton can absorb your hair’s natural oils and tug at your hair, so silk is the way to go! Also, I love the chunky size of these.
2. BeautyBio Dry Shampoo $39 Dry shampoo is the secret to extending washes, and extending washes has been the key for not losing a ton of length or volume in my hair! I’ve tried many dry shampoos and my favorites are Kristen Ess Brunette Dry Shampoo and this BeautyBio kind. I don’t get it, but it leaves my hair looking shiny AFTER I USE IT! How?! I spray my roots, let it dry a bit, brush it in, and air it out using the Dyson Airwrap. *Another thing I started doing is quickly drying any sweat in my hair after I workout…into my hair. The natural oils are good for it!
3. BaBylissPRO 1.25 inch Curling Iron $58 This is the curling wand I use when I’m wanting a bit of a tighter curl or wave. Anytime I use this I always get a ton of comments about how nice my hair looks. :)
4. T3 1.5 inch Curling Iron $100 I use this one for a looser curl/big waves. It can cover so much ground and gives my hair just the right amount of wave to make it look more natural. I think smoother, more effortless hair is making coming back vs. the tighter curls.
5. Dyson Cordless Straightener $499 This is an investment. But when my CHI died after ten years, I didn’t know where to turn. I bounced around from straighteners before Chris surprised me with this one. I honestly didn’t know how big of a difference a cordless straightener would make in my life until I started using this! A cordless straightener! It’s a game changer.
6. Dyson Airwrap $599 If you know, you know. (If you don’t, you don’t. lol) This Airwrap is basically going to give you the best blow-out *at home. It includes attachments for curling, brushing, round-brushing, air-drying, all using the magic of air. Life changing, and worth the investment. I use the brush attachment when I’m blow drying and it has turned the whole thing into a one arm task.
7. Hair Drying Turban $20 I don’t know what to say–you need this! Towels are so bulky and heavy on your head. Not this one. It’s very thin and lightweight and ultra-absorbent. It has a button closure on the back, so it stays put. After I wash my hair, I wrap it up in this AQUIS turban, and I swear it cuts my hair drying time in half–at least! While it’s on, I usually do my make-up and then total blow drying time is under 5 minutes.
8. OUAI Leave-In Conditioner $26 I like to spray this in after I take my hair out of the turban, and before I comb it or dry it. and it makes my hair so silky smooth and really cuts back on tangles.
9. Prose Shampoo $25 I’ve been using my prose shampoo and conditioner officially for over a year now! I think this is the “root” of my hair success. I took a little hair quiz and my products are customized to my hair needs–exactly what my frizzy, brittle hair needed. When we moved to North Carolina, I updated my zip code and they automatically updated my formula to address the humidity head on. Pun intended.
10. Prose Conditioner $25 Ditto on the conditioner!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
One of our biggest projects this year is building out an upstairs laundry room using borrowed space from the playroom. Chris and I have been drawing up and re-drawing floor plans and elevations that I can’t wait to share. The biggest hurdle we’re designing around is this great, big window which is a blessing and […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home