In this episode, we peel back the curtain on a few projects happening around here. What you see are the photos, but there is always more uncertainty and conversations about nearly every decision. We take you through conversations around 2 projects we’re knee deep in (our bedroom and bathroom) and how we come to conclusions as a couple. We also answer the question, “What is your process for renovating a room?” And! Talk about how we sometimes feel we have unintentionally betrayed our readers.
• In the first few minutes, we talk about how our bedroom is coming together. Side note: Do you say “make the bed?” or “fix the bed?” Either way, we get into it about throw pillows and this scene comes up.
• We answer Preston’s question about mismatched nightstands (they’re totally okay!). Image below found here.
• Then we talk about the bathroom and the most freeing thought we renovate by:
We share what intimidates us, big, normal house projects that we still haven’t learned how to do and the secret we’ve been keeping: we don’t know how to do everything. And that’s okay!
• What’s Your Process For Renovating a Room?
• Can’t Get You Outta My Mind
– Preston has Beef Jerky on his mind. Specifically this brand.
– I recently watched this YouTube video that changed my perspective on motivation. (bottom line: it sucks) In turn, I’ve been able to get up early every morning since and hit the gym. I hired a trainer to write a program for me so I have direction and use the JEFIT app, which shows how to do every exercise and work every machine out there plus keep a log!, so I’m no longer intimidated to go to the gym.
– Chris has always been passionate about cooking and although he doesn’t share much here anymore, he got this chest harness that holds his phone so he can record while he cooks! He’s been sharing a lot of our meals and his recipes on his Instagram–@c_marcum.
This Episode is Sponsored by:
We’ve been using Blue Apron for almost three years now, and we couldn’t recommend it more. They even started offering Whole30® Compliant options, so give it a try this week! Our listeners can get $30 off their first order by visiting www.blueapron.com/clj
Protein bars are not new, but the movement to make them less complicated is definitely on the rise, with RXBAR leading that charge. Simple ingredients, nothing artificial, and crazy delicious. Get 25% off your first order by visiting www.rxbar.com/loves and using the promo code “LOVES”
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home