It’s unofficially fall around here! The weather has dropped into the 60s, we’re sipping (whole30) soups, and I’ve swapped out some decor in the living room–more on that in a later post. But perhaps my favorite home related switch that occurs every year are the scents. Doesn’t fall have the best-smelling candles? The best!
Over the weekend, I lit my favorite Grey Flannel candle from Target (no. 9 on the list below) and our whole great room smelled and felt so cozy. It’s a really great transitional smell for summer to fall because it has some minor sweet notes, but it also smells like a snow day and last year I burned it all the way until Christmas. I haven’t always been a big candle person, but now I’m convinced, lighting a candle is the easiest way to change the mood in your home, or at the very least your own personal mood. Here are 11 of my favorite fall scents:
1. After Light Boho Glass Candle: smells like warm tobacco, clove, patchouli and musk
2. Boulangerie Pumpkin Souffle: smells like a rich autumnal blend of roasted pumpkin and brown sugar
3. Brooklyn Candle Studio Spiked Apple Cider: smells like natural cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, orange, and cedarwood essential oils–it’s crisp and cozy
4. Illume Woodfire Tin Candle: smells like cedarwood and smoke accords mix with heady patchouli leaves and warm vanilla to kindle the ultimate fireside fragrance.
5. Jonathan Adler Pop Bourbon Candle: smells like davana, cognac, plum, leather accord, birch, and cedar.
6. Illume Pumpkin Peppercorn: smells like a decadent pumpkin spiced with sweet peppercorn, roasted cinnamon bark and a twist of tangy citrus peel. Underneath the caramelized core is a harvest of earthen oak, molten amber, and black vanilla bean garnished with a touch of smoked chestnut.
7. Diptyque ‘Feu de Bois’ Woodfire Candle: smells like the warm, familiar, sophisticated accord of rare woods throughout the long winter days.
8. P.F. Candle Co No. 01: Spiced Pumpkin: smells like ripe pumpkin, creamy butter, and brown sugar, topped with toasted cinnamon and nutmeg.
9. Grey Flannel: smells like musk, a snow day, woodsy
10. Old Factory Candle’s Autumn Leaves: smells like the rich earthy scent of a brisk autumn day
11. Nest Fragrances Pumpkin Chai: smells like a blend of wild pumpkin, spicy Masala chai, cardamom, ginger and cinnamon.
Are you a candle person? Do you have a favorite fall scent? Dish in the comments below so we can add it to our fall rotation.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home