(Old photo snapped of our group. Me, mid-story, looking only a little nuts. Haha)
It’s not news that one of our favorite things to do is to have people over. It started a long time ago, before we even had kids or a mortgage. Shortly after we were married, we hosted our first Friendsgiving. We didn’t have fancy serving dishes or recipes or cloth napkins. After we had our first daughter, and she went to bed at 6 pm (!!), we invited friends over for dinner, after she went to sleep, as a way to still socialize as new parents. But now, it’s definitely grown to be a bigger constant in our lives and something our girls look forward to. At least 3 times a week, we have friends or family into our home for a good meal and we sit around the table for hours to talk or play games. I think it’s part of the reason why I am so passionate about making our house into a welcoming place for us and others. And why Chris loves to learn new recipes and collect cookware. They are our favorite hobbies, and work and play!
Last weekend, we hosted Easter dinner, but also a fun pizza night with friends the night before. Chris had recently purchased and devoured (pun intended) this Real Pizza book and turned out some of the best neapolitan pizza I’ve had–and he made it in our oven! Besides the book and the dough recipe inside, he lets a pizza stone (we love this one and have 2!) preheat in the oven on 550 for about an hour–the pizza itself only takes 5-6 minutes to bake when you do this. Try it!
Other fun things this week!
• I said a few weeks ago, that one of my favorite things to add to an outdoor space for instant charm is a set of string lights. But this week, I discovered something even more magical–really good looking, SOLAR-POWERED string lights. No awkward cords leading to a plug that are a total pain, and tripping hazard and have to be cropped out of every photo. These all have a small solar panel at one end so you don’t even have to feed one string to another if you have multiple sets! And! They come on automatically when the sun goes down, instantly inviting you outdoors. Ours currently look very similar to number 1 (although ours are not solar powered) and we’re totally upgrading to these.
• This pegboard above a bed is such a cool take on a gallery wall! Plus, you can change things around so easily!
• I loathe shoe shopping because I have embarrassingly big feet (size 11!), but I really needed some comfortable summery shoes before our trip to Hawaii next week. I found myself in Kohl’s trying on these LC slides and they were so so comfortable (even at a size too small) and so cheap (normally $25, on sale for $15!!) and so beautiful. I wanted every color, but they only went up to size 10. I actually still might get the nude ones. If you’re looking for an affordable every day summer sandal, I don’t think anyone could regret these.
• This year, Chris and I have made it a goal to have more quality family time with our girls. To, sometimes, not pick up a power tool or computer for entire weekends. To go explore our beautiful area of the country and beyond as a family. We have had a few successful “ultimate family weekends” as we have dubbed them, and it has been so. fun!! A friend of mine introduced me to friends of theirs who just launched a kickstarter for a family-friendly duffle bag that they designed and it was so in line with the goals for our family that I couldn’t not back them. Check it out!
• Really excited for this documentary!
• Awesome news! ASOS just started premier shipping! For $19, you can get free 2-day shipping for an entire year! It’s like Amazon Prime for clothes. The best clothes! But instead of $99, it’s just $19. How awesome is that?! I have found all my favorite maternity clothes on ASOS, and even before I was pregnant, I found myself and Chris shopping there frequently.
Hope you all have a great weekend!