9 months ago, while painting our staircase spindles and railings (ironic I was doing the same thing this weekend), I took a break and wrote a quick post about something I couldn't stop thinking about:"Add a new window" in the bonus projects category. Chris and I both really wanted to see it happen since it would add light to the cave-like corner and balance to the existing sliding glass door. After calling around to a lot of different window companies, no one would do it for us. "Oh, you want to add a new window? Not just replace a window?" It was as if I was speaking a foreign language. Finally, I found a contractor who would do it and when he came over to give us an estimate, we held our breath. "$550." We were so excited about that price that included the new window. That fit our budget perfectly, since we were doing so many things like electrical work ourselves, and we were anxious to see our vision come to pass.
Fast forward a few weeks and the window STILL isn't done. We are still waiting on the final glass to come in after it was cut to the wrong size initially (the good news is the price has dropped to $475), but we couldn't wait any longer to show you. Especially since, the overall look won't change that much with the real glass in--although, the temperature sure will. Single pane=Cold.
Chris and I took a few days and mapped out the exact size and location of the window. We wanted it centered on the wall after the bookcases were built in, and the same distance from the ceiling as the sliding glass doors. We also decided not to make it too wide. With bookcases taking up an entire wall, we wanted to make sure there was some wall space on either side of the window after curtains are hung . I believe the final size came to about 37"x38"--which was the size of a window already existing so we could save on custom sizes--how the glass was cut wrong the first time is beyond me.
Here's how she's looking today:
We still have some work to do, obviously, but over the past few weeks, this window has gone through lots of changes itself. I teased a few photos of the window being cut out on our facebook page a couple weeks ago, but for the sake of documentation, here's how it went down:
Our contractor (who worked for Advanced Window Products, but did other window-ing on the side...like cutting out new windows) more accurately measured for the window we wanted:
Took a razor blade and cut around the shape and then hammered it out:
Cut and stared. Cut and stared:
He was at this stage for a long time. There is a lot of reinforcing that has to happen in this stage. He built a new header and lots of other things behind those walls which made us feel better about hiring someone instead of attempting to do it ourselves:
At last we saw the light:
More light. More cutting. More reinforcing.
And then, for awhile, things stayed boarded up while we waited for glass. Our contractor, David, did come back and sheet rock the whole thing so we could get it painted in the meantime. So now, our family room has the extra light and balance we were looking for:
There is a lilac bush right outside of the new window that I am anxious to watch bloom--which may end up blocking all that light. We'll have to see when and trim it down or relocate it a few feet away if we need to.
Now to dress that window and address all of the other things still on our to-do list for this room. Baseboards have been ordered. Crown molding has arrived. You can see in the photo below, we got the upper bookcase up this weekend and paint touched up: