Last week, when I finished the hallway with Mr. Poppin, an Ikea canvas, and an original piece, my mom called me up and said, “It’s just so easy for you, isn’t it?” I had to laugh, because although the hallway wasn’t difficult to put together–other things are. It definitely isn’t always easy for me. The last 48 hours I have been working on a project that I would put in the “challenging” category. I just could NOT figure out how to execute the oversized letters I fell in love with at Anthropologie. Good news, it won’t take you 48 hours, a case of carpal tunnel, burned fingertips or even the $98/letter Anthropologie is asking. I have to thank my sweet hubby, Chris, for being such a mastermind. He thought of the final solution and we now have our own 25″ tall, 2″ thick HUUUGGGEEE letters to prop above our bed:
But let’s back track (just for fun) so you can see the mess I went through before getting to this point. First, I thought of cardboard. I had a bunch of boxes in our storage closet, but only two were large enough to fit a 25″ letter. Welp, I only needed two. Victory. I thought, “Wow, this is going to look awesome. So easy.” I was taking pictures a long the way to show you how I was doing everything. I burned my fingers a hojillion times trying to hold the pieces together while hot-glueing (not recommended). I got this awesome spray paint that Rustoleum makes that is a “hammered metal” effect–perfection!…. …. ….until it seeped THROUGH the cardboard leaving it just solid silver and looking very cardboard-y. Blah!
So, day two rolls around (yesterday) and I went out and got foam core. I figured if I made the front and backs of the letters out of something smoother, then I wouldn’t get the texture showing through the spraypaint. I was also crossing my fingers that the sweet spray paint I found would actually stay on top of the surface–I didn’t get that far. Once I cut out the “J” using a box cutter (I don’t know if that’s what it is technically called, but it has a different name in my book now. I blame my carpal tunnel on gripping that sucker for too long.) and glued the sides to the bottom (more burns) I realized, the top wasn’t going to fit exactly. Arrrgggghhhhhhh!! AAAAAHHHHH!! I was so close to giving up.
|The light is shining through my hair–looks faareaky!|